Saturday, April 30, 2011

The One With The Very First Blog

 Welcome! Yes, like so many others...I have decided to write down my thoughts in form of a blog for the world to see. I'm excited to document my adventures, as well as my simple thoughts. 

Here comes the sun. Yup, it's the name of my blog. 

I'm sure you all thought of that one song by that one band (yeah, yeah, I'm well aware that I should properly site the Beatles for my blog title). However, most of the time when I read this title, I don't think of a hit song. To say "here comes the sun" means that at one point you were in complete darkness. Alone. Unable to see. Unable to discern which way to go. 

Darkness can take many different shapes. For example, families struggle, friends fall away, school becomes more demanding, and you don't have enough energy or time to process it all. For a long time I felt bogged down by the weight of my own  darkness. The constant struggle to fit in, be accepted, feel uplifted and encouraged during my times of need. Bearing the hurts of my mother, father, brothers, and extended family, both big and small. Carrying the my friends' anguish alongside of them. Feeling completely inadequate to stay in school, because I just felt like a failure and lacked a purpose for my community. All of that is heavy. Completely dark.  

But here comes the sun. Freedom from the darkness. 

It's an appropriate title for my blog. The story of my continuing journey of coming from darkness into the sunlight. Into beauty. Into warmth. Into love. Into new beginnings. 

I find it to be the perfect description of where I'm at right now in my college journey. I'm at this strange, yet wonderful point in my life where I am flooded with independence, choices, responsibilities, relationships, knowledge, and faith. I've never been here before and I don't know what it's supposed to look like. While it is far too easy to become weighed down with all these changes, I am committed into stepping into the light, by the grace of God. For it is HE who sent His Son, Jesus, to sweep me out of the darkness, into His wonderful light. Just as I eagerly wait for the times where I can say "here comes the sun" in my earthly trials, so I eagerly wait for the day when I can say "here comes the SON," and spend eternity in His light. 

This doesn't mean that I don't struggle. Not at all. It means that I have finally come to a point where I'm choosing to share my journey of looking for the sun in my life. Sharing the burdens that are on my heart, yet the joys and excitement the Lord has blessed me with. And I hope a few of you don't mind taking that journey with me. 

So here comes the sun.

I have lots of new and exciting things to share with you. Summer plans, friends, and stories of faith where the Son has shown down on me...all are things that I look forward to sharing with you. 

I promise that not all posts will be as serious as this one. 

I just figured I owed my first blogging audience an explanation for the blatant use of Beatle's lyrics. 

Until next time, cheers!
 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jennderveen!! I love this!! It really is wonderful!! You are so great!

Anonymous said...

This is your heart right now. Truthful & vulnerable. The (Son) is shining on you and through you. Keep blogging. :)

Post a Comment