Friday, June 3, 2011

It is Rookie Week in Phoenix!

HELLO from sunny Phoenix! 
Hiking at Pinnacle Peak


First off, I want to tell all of you reading how truly awesome you are. Whether you've commented on the blog, facebook'd, texted, emailed, or just prayed for me...the encouragement has been so wonderful. Having a Christian community that surrounds and uplifts me in my new challenges has been irreplaceable, praise God for that gift! 

Secondly, IT IS ROOKIE WEEK! 

No, I haven't burnt anything on the oven (yet), but I'm sure you are curious to see what I have been up to the past couple of days...after all...this is my FIRST WEEK of living by myself. I'm sure you're thinking "oh Jenn is just going to love this time of getting to relax by herself and grow as a person..." "She'll be a good cook by the end of the summer." "Jenn's so independent and crazy and outgoing, she'll make friends right away." 

blah. blah. blah.

Not gonna lie, these past couple weeks have been some of the most challenging times for me. Well rookie week (for me) translates into...who am I? Why am I here? What fears do I have coming into this summer, living by myself?

The fear of being alone for the summer, without my already solid Christian friendships and fellowship opportunities (Audra, Stacy, and Brittany left for the Midwest this week). The fear of being on the most strict budget I've ever had, and a lot of financial responsibilities to take care of. The intimidation of starting a brand new job, with people who OBVIOUSLY have more experience and confidence than I do. The fear of the uncertainty of my family's farm, and being so far away from that process. 

Now, I don't want you to look at this post and say "wow, Jenn. Way to complain the whole blog about how hard your life is." No. That is not what I'm trying to do here. I want to tie back into my first post that I ever wrote, and title for my blog, "Here Comes The Sun."
Sunset in Phoenix, not as beautiful as it is in person!

Because in the midst of intimidation and fear, we are reminded that our Father reaches out to us, so that we may draw near to him. My mind instantly flips to two places in the Bible. The first of which is Psalm 46. "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way....Be still and know that I am God."

Secondly, I think of James, chapter 1. "Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." In reflecting on these specific scriptures these past few days, I can certainly say that in the midst of my fear, trials and intimidation, God has answered my prayers. 

Examples, you say?

Well, let's look at the simple day-to-day blessings that God has put in my life.

1) I have shelter over my head, and wonderful housemates who love to include me in social events. 

Hiking with Audra and Stacy at Pinnacle's Peak
2) I received a call from a pastor at Harvest Bible Chapel North Phoenix to become involved in a young adult small group on Monday nights.

3) I truly live in one of the most beautiful places. You may think it is all desert, but no. I live in a valley surrounded by mountains and large hills, perfect for hiking and seeing the wonders of creation!(:

4) I have the best friends in the entire world. Literally, the best. No matter how many miles are between us, I've been encouraged through skype calls, phone calls, text message, and in-person visits. 

5) My preceptor (the nurse I am assisting for the summer) pulled me aside this week to ask if I was a Christian. I responded with an excited "YES" and her entire face glowed as she said "So am I." In that moment, I truly felt God's hand on me, comforting me about my fears in my workplace. How amazing is the gift of Christian community? Right? Right.

So... here comes the sun. God's blessings shine down once again. 

Myself, Brit, Stacy, and Audra at the Grand Canyon
This week I encourage you, as a reader, to write down the simple gifts God has put in your life this week. Although I just reflected on a few different things, His providence is never-ending.

Look for a post soon on my first couple shifts at Mayo on the Hematology/Oncology/Bone Marrow Transplant floor (spoiler: it's pretty much awesome).

Until next time, cheers!

1 comments:

Liz said...

Thank you for your post, VanderVeen. I was having a bit of a tough night tonight, missing a lot of people and feeling lonely without all of them, but your post reminded me of God's great love and how I'm not really alone. I love you! Keep writing. You're beautiful.

Post a Comment